Tiffany Venmahavong ’17, the daughter of Laotian immigrants and the first member of her family to go to college, is among Bryant University's distinguished Fulbright Scholars. Awarded a prestigious Fulbright English Teaching Assistant Scholarship, she taught children in her parents’ home country of Laos.
As a teacher and program designer at American Center in the city of Vientiane, Laos, Venmahavong helped to develop a Business and Society program that empowers students to be social innovators through design thinking, media literacy, and social entrepreneurship – aptitudes she cultivated while at Bryant. She also spearheaded a Career Development program that aids students in finding great jobs through a focus on career planning, interviewing, and resume and cover letter writing.
Venmahavong credits her time at Bryant with helping to make all of that possible. “Bryant has a culture that inspires students to be the best versions of themselves, and that means excelling in everything they do,” she says. “We have amazing students here and an amazing support group that is there for you for every step of the process.”
Her Bryant experience nurtured Venmahavong's fascination with global culture. As part of her first-year Global Foundations class, she and her team won recognition for a creative business approach to solving a current world issue. During her junior year she traveled to East China Normal University in Shanghai to learn about international business and Chinese society and language.
That international experience aided her in her quest to connect with others around the world. “Through Fulbright, I believe I can make an important contribution to the development of Southeast Asian communities,” Venmahavong says.
Throughout the Fulbright selection process Venmahavong was supported by the Bryant Scholars program, which provides guidance for undergraduates and recent graduates applying for fellowships.
"This award would never have been possible without the Bryant Scholars program," says Venhamavong. “Bryant has helped me excel academically, professionally and personally.”
Bryant University Senior Advisory Council
• Advised President and senior staff members on ways to improve the student experience at Bryant
Bryant University Multicultural Student Organization
• Worked to educate the Bryant community about other cultures by assisting with informational sessions and other programming
U.S.-China Institute at Bryant University
• Assisted with Chinese New Year Celebration and Chinese Cultural Performances
• Journey West Cultural Exchange Ambassador, helping to organize and facilitate U.S. expedition for Chinese visiting scholars from China University of Geoscience - Wuhan; produced and edited informational video documenting the trip
Engaged in high-level coursework, taking part in specially-designed developmental and networking opportunities and conducting a capstone research project in close consultation with a faculty mentor
Studied international business, Chinese society and language at East China Normal University
Omicron Delta Kappa
• National Leadership Honor Society
Product management intern, Honeywell Security and Fire
• Compiled and analyzed competitive market information, converted financial data and formulated sales tool, and assisted in website development
Marketing intern, Viessmann U.S.
• Assisted with 25th anniversary celebration and launch of online store and merchandise catalog, engaged with marketing operations including research, internet analytics, and social media
Bryant's purposeful student life delivers co-curricular immersion with an inspiring, collegial community. Students forge deep connections that last a lifetime.