Tiffany Venmahavong ’17, the daughter of Laotian immigrants and the first member of her family to go to college, is Bryant’s first undergrad Fulbright Scholar. Awarded a prestigious Fulbright English Teaching Assistant Scholarship, she will teach children in her parents’ home country of Laos and start a multilingual media club that will promote language immersion and media literacy.
She credits the Bryant community for helping her achieve success. “Bryant has a culture that inspires students to be the best versions of themselves, and that means excelling in everything they do,” she says. “We have amazing students here and an amazing support group that is there for you for every step of the process.”
Her Bryant experience nurtured Tiffany’s fascination with global culture. As part of her first-year Global Foundations class, she and her team won recognition for a creative business approach to solving a current world issue. During her junior year she traveled to East China Normal University in Shanghai to learn about international business and Chinese society and language.
That international experience has aided her in her quest to connect with others around the world. “Through Fulbright, I believe I can make an important contribution to the development of Southeast Asian communities,” Venmahavong, says.
Throughout the Fulbright selection process Venmahavong was supported by the Bryant Scholars program, which provides guidance for undergraduates and recent graduates applying for fellowships.
"This award would never have been possible without the Bryant Scholars program," says Venhamavong. “Bryant has helped me excel academically, professionally and personally.”
Bryant University Senior Advisory Council
• Advised President and senior staff members on ways to improve the student experience at Bryant
Bryant University Multicultural Student Organization
• Worked to educate the Bryant community about other cultures by assisting with informational sessions and other programming
U.S.-China Institute at Bryant University
• Assisted with Chinese New Year Celebration and Chinese Cultural Performances
• Journey West Cultural Exchange Ambassador, helping to organize and facilitate U.S. expedition for Chinese visiting scholars from China University of Geoscience - Wuhan; produced and edited informational video documenting the trip
Engaged in high-level coursework, taking part in specially-designed developmental and networking opportunities and conducting a capstone research project in close consultation with a faculty mentor
Studied international business, Chinese society and language at East China Normal University
Omicron Delta Kappa
• National Leadership Honor Society
Product management intern, Honeywell Security and Fire
• Compiled and analyzed competitive market information, converted financial data and formulated sales tool, and assisted in website development
Marketing intern, Viessmann U.S.
• Assisted with 25th anniversary celebration and launch of online store and merchandise catalog, engaged with marketing operations including research, internet analytics, and social media
Bryant's purposeful student life delivers co-curricular immersion with an inspiring, collegial community. Students forge deep connections that last a lifetime.