Samantha Scoca ’18 has always been interested in advocacy and in business, but it wasn’t until she came to Bryant that the two would uniquely combine, resulting in an impressive array of leadership experiences — and new perspectives.
A first-year cultural studies course taught by Professor Tom Roach, coordinator of Bryant's Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies, sparked Scoca's interest in advocacy for women and civics. It motivated her to become a leader and to help women in business – not just on campus but beyond.
Since then, she’s interned twice in Washington D.C. – first with Sen. Tim Scott of South Carolina and second as a research intern on the U.S. Senate Committee on Small Business & Entrepreneurship – and founded the Women in Business (WIB) Initiative as a member of the Bryant chapter of Collegiate Entrepreneurs' Organization (CEO). As Co-Director of WIB, she creates programs that feature guest speakers and networking to help encourage women on campus to leverage the resources of Bryant’s CEO chapter.
She also credits her sorority, Alpha Omicron Pi, as well as Bryant itself, for providing the support she needed to pursue advocacy work. “Through Alpha Omicron Pi, I have a group of women behind me who are leaders all over campus, and who inspire one another. And with Bryant, no matter what your major is, you’ll learn leadership skills. In my classes I’ve learned how to manage teams and collaborate effectively. This semester, I’ve even crafted my own leadership vision in my Women in Leadership class.”
A marketing major now in her senior year, she’s working on two capstone projects focusing on the perception of women in leadership positions. She's also the lead organizer and licensee for the first TEDx event at Bryant, TEDxBryantU. After graduation, she hopes to apply her leadership skills through work either on Capitol Hill, in advocacy, or in sales.
• Lead Organizer and Licensee for the first TEDx University event at Bryant University
Collegiate Entrepreneur’s Organization (CEO)
• Founder and Co-director of the Women in Business Initiative, a women’s professional development network
Health Education Awareness Leaders (HEAL)
• President; Coordinated events serving 200 plus participants in order to educate the Bryant community on various health campaigns
• Management and communication interdisciplinary research project entitled "Examining the Impact of Communication and Leadership Styles of Women: Perceptions of Effectiveness by Subordinates"
Honors Peer Mentor
Alpha Omicron Pi Women’s Sorority
• Vice President of Academic Development
• Nominated as the junior class’s Bylaws Committee Representative to review and amend the chapter’s constitution
Research Fellow for The Hassenfeld Institute for Public Leadership at Bryant University
• Analyzes and researches Rhode Island economic development initiatives and assists with event logistics for design thinking workshops with local government groups
Omicron Delta Kappa
• National leadership honor society
Beta Gamma Sigma
• Business studies international honors society
Mu Kappa Tau
• National marketing honors society
Research Intern for U.S. Senate Committee on Small Business & Entrepreneurship
• Authored statements for the record, research memos, and bill summaries for professional staff while becoming proficient on advanced Senate procedure and practice
STEAM Specialist Intern, Girl Scouts of Southeastern New England
• Facilitated science, technology, engineering, arts, and math programming for girls K-6; executed design thinking, coding and robotics workshops for 250 participants
Legislative Intern, U.S. Sen. Tim Scott
• Created form letters, press releases; attended hearings and briefings for legislative staff and communicated with constituents on various policy areas
District Intern, U.S. Rep. Kathleen Rice
• Conducted casework with federal agencies such as Social Security, VA, and HUD; drafted letters to constituents regarding these federal agencies
Account Services Intern, Kinetic Worldwide
• Completed media recommendation plans; produced contracts for clients and used Kinetic’s mapping system to target client’s desired demographics
Bryant's purposeful student life delivers co-curricular immersion with an inspiring, collegial community. Students forge deep connections that last a lifetime.