William Kelley '17
The math, finance, and computer skills William Kelley gained at Bryant help him to stand out in a competitive workforce. Even as an undergrad, he was making real business decisions that affect real outcomes.
Kelley decided early on to major in Actuarial Mathematics, which involves analyzing and managing financial risks. “Actuarial Math isn’t even a program at most colleges,” he says, “but Bryant has a really fantastic one. And it doesn’t just have a great academic program, it has the community and student support to go with it.”
Bryant professors “really care about you understanding the material and want you to succeed,” he says. “They’re always willing to spend the extra time with you to make sure you understand a concept, even if it’s beyond the scope of what you’re learning in class.”
He applied what he learned in class as an intern at The Hanover Insurance Group, where he developed a tool the company uses to analyze variables and set rates. His success in that role has helped him land a career at The Hanover after graduation.
“None of this would’ve been possible if it weren’t for the Software Applications for Math course I took at Bryant,” Kelley says.
Kelley’s Bryant University education also helps him to see the big picture. “Bryant has given me the ability to take a high-level look at things,” he says. “It can be easy to get caught up in the weeds, especially in the actuarial and coding roles I’ve been in. But you need context to be innovative, and you need to be able to see beyond what’s right in front of you if you want to do something important.
“That’s one of the biggest things I’ve learned at Bryant,” Kelley says, “knowing how to make the biggest difference possible, whatever your role.”
Real World Experience
Travelers Actuarial Case Competition
• Teamed-up with Bryant actuarial students to solve an insurance-related problem
College Fed Challenge Team
• Analyzed economic conditions to formulate and present monetary policy recommendations to the Federal Reserve
• Prepared for exams, explored career paths, networked with accounting professionals, and shared insights with other students
Co-President, Community Activism and Leadership Organization (CALO)
• Organized campus opportunities to promote community service and leadership
Actuarial internship, The Hanover Insurance Group
• Worked with the Personal Lines Automobile Pricing Team and enhanced the Personal Lines Automobile Loss Ratio Tool
Actuarial internship, Sun Life Financial
• Worked in Group Benefits Pricing with Disability Insurance Team
A Connected Community
Bryant's purposeful student life delivers co-curricular immersion with an inspiring, collegial community. Students forge deep connections that last a lifetime.