Savanah Miles '19
“I wanted to go big,” says Savanah Miles ’19. “I wanted to do amazing internships. I wanted to study overseas and I wanted to get the full picture of all the opportunities that were open to me.
“I wanted to go as big as possible, and Bryant helped me do that.”
At Bryant, Miles has fulfilled all of those dreams. She’s interned with big corporations like TD Securities and Bank of America Merrill Lynch, learned from experts in her field, and tobogganed down the Swiss Alps during her study-abroad semester. But it’s her work establishing the University’s Smart Women in Finance (SWIF) group that may have the biggest impact.
In 2017, Miles, alongside Kaylan Conrad '17, now a Financial Leadership Program Associate at United Technologies, established the group to inspire women interested in the financial field through networking events, student-to-student mentoring, seminars, trips to financial organizations, and information sessions.
She was aided in starting the club by Finance Lecturers Mara Dederian ’93 and Maura Dowling. “They're both very progressive in the field,” Miles notes. “They want both men and women to take a stand together to improve equality.” The faculty, she says, have been very supportive, “but they want to make sure we’re the ones steering the direction of Smart Women in Finance. They really pushed for the group to be student-driven because, at the end of the day, it's our campus.”
Miles sees the organization as a way to pay forward all the amazing experiences she’s had at Bryant. “I'm doing this because I know how happy and successful the University’s Finance program has made me, and I want the same thing for other students,” she says. “Then, hopefully, they’ll get involved and inspire others as well.”
Miles plans to continue that work after she graduates, as she has secured a full-time position with Andersen Tax as an Investment Consulting Services Associate.
“I want to do something meaningful, something I can give 100 percent to,” she says. “I want to learn new things, I want to develop myself, and I want to help others develop as well.”
Real World Experience
Founder and President, Smart Women in Finance, a campus organization to increase the involvement of women in Bryant’s finance program
Infrastructure Finance Analyst Intern, TD Securities
• Completed rotations in Financial Reporting, Legal and Regulatory Reporting, Corporate Strategy and Liquidity, and Comprehensive Capital Analysis and Review
Financial Advisor Analyst Intern, Bank of America Merrill Lynch
• Assisted The De Marco group with over $800 million in assets under management
• Gained a broad understanding of fixed income, equity, and alternative investment areas
• Learned portfolio construction, asset management, and investment analysis techniques
Operations Intern, Mortgage Network, Inc.
• Assisted loan officers and processors to close loan applications in a timely manner
• Verified employment, ordered appraisals and title work, pulled credit reports, and completed income and debt worksheets which frequently included a cash flow analysis for self-employed borrowers
Business Administration Intern, Souhegan Valley Chamber Of Commerce Inc.
• Learned how 11 nearby towns developed business relationships and sustained the local economy
Research Analyst, Office of Planning and Institutional Research, Bryant University
• Performs competitor analysis and created reports on higher education trends for the Office of the President
Summer Undergraduate Research Grant Recipient, Center for Global and Regional Economic Studies
• Researched the economic impact of increasing female labor force participation rates, will build upon that research in a Honors Senior Capstone Thesis
The University of Freiburg
• Studied the development of the European Union, with a focus on International Economics and European Political Cultures, in Freiburg, Germany
A Connected Community
Bryant's purposeful student life delivers co-curricular immersion with an inspiring, collegial community. Students forge deep connections that last a lifetime.
Relevant coursework and a powerful group of collaborators helps this entrepreneur as he builds his own success story.
There are no full time faculty that match this filter
There are no adjuncts that match this filter
Energy, engagement, and passion are hallmarks of Professor Roberto's award-winning teaching style. “I have a lot of enthusiasm and hope it’s contagious."