Samantha Sainvil '19
“People inspire me,” says Samantha Sainvil ’19. “Everyone has different ideas and when we work together we see how they can be shared and combined.”
That fusion of perspectives has been a big part of her Bryant education. The University, she says is a great place to explore new ideas, and everyone has a voice here. The President of the Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, a member of the aDvANCEd Evolution Dance Team, and a volunteer with Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Sainvil’s found opportunities that let her shine and make a difference. “Getting involved here,” she says “definitely helps you find out where you fit in and where your community is.”
Sainvil recently performed at the University’s annual Extravaganza, a celebration of art, music, diversity, and culture. “It’s absolute fun,” she says, “because people get a chance to try something they probably have never tried before. Or they can share something important to them with others."
Bryant is driven by that emphasis on insight and understanding, she says – you don’t just learn subject material here, you learn how it impacts others. Courses like Database Management with Associate Professor Kenneth J. Sousa, Ph.D., help Sainvil, who aspires to one day work at Google, understand how the technical work she’ll be doing affects people’s lives.
“He used real-life examples to help us understand how the things we’re learning connect with business and what that means for people,” she says. “Professor Sousa wants us to understand that the world out there is so much larger than the Bryant campus.”
The broader mindset she’s acquired has helped her develop as a person and as a leader. An anthropology class with English and Cultural Studies Lecturer Joan Zaretti, Ph.D., challenged Sainvil to consider how culture shapes societies and their values. “It let me explore my sense of justice,” she says, “which is very important to me.”
Bryant’s community, Sainvil says, is what makes the University truly special.
“If you’re looking for a school that helps you, and that pushes you to be the best you can be, this is where you should come.”
Real World Experience
Vice President/President, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority
• Planned and implemented events to improve member participation and networking opportunities
Big Brothers/Big Sisters
• Mentors young people in the community, helping with homework, offering support, and providing a positive role model
Fidelity Investments Case Competition
• Developed real-world solutions to industry dilemmas through a competition sponsored by Fidelity Investments
• Worked with a team to solve a problem that affects people around the globe by creating a business idea that will address the problem
aDvANCEd Evolution Dance Team
• As a member of Bryant's student run hip-hop club, performed at a variety of events and introduced the group to stepping
• Performed at Bryant’s annual celebration of art, music, diversity, and culture
Sophomore International Experience, China
• Engaged in an intensive international immersion experience, culminating in traveling to China to learn about the business and culture of the region.
A Connected Community
Bryant's purposeful student life delivers co-curricular immersion with an inspiring, collegial community. Students forge deep connections that last a lifetime.
“Be yourself and you’ll find your community," this innovative entrepreneur tells incoming students.
There are no full time faculty that match this filter
There are no adjuncts that match this filter
“Communication plays an essential role in management and the workplace. From a company’s mission statement down to the hiring process, communication is critical to good leadership.”