Literary and Cultural Studies
Guided by accomplished faculty with diverse expertise, discover your passion engaging with a variety of media, cultures, and methodologies. Offered as a major and minor.
Our dynamic Literary and Cultural Studies program encourages engagement with literature, film, music, creative writing, visual arts and other art forms. Learning to create and critique cultural expressions helps you develop as a critical thinker, problem solver, and global citizen.
- Work with faculty experts in fields from anthropology to literature, media studies to art history.
- Tap your creative spirit and showcase your work through venues like theater, pop-up galleries, and an international journal of poetry and fiction.
- Focus your studies on an aspect of cultural analysis that intrigues you.
- Immerse yourself in real-world learning experiences and internships, engaging with artists, libraries, museums, theaters, social service agencies, marketing and media companies, and government organizations.
- Develop a portfolio of creative production, including critical and creative writing, video, performance, and photography, as your capstone project, supported by a faculty mentor.
- A strong liberal arts foundation develops critical thinking and communication skills essential for success and continuous growth in every field.
- Your business minor will be a competitive advantage that highlights the acumen and problem-solving abilities cultivated through real-world projects
- Whether you pursue grad school or begin a career after graduation, the credentials of your major and minor distinguish you.
The Bryant Difference
At Bryant, 21 percent of the Class of 2017 enrolled in graduate school within six months of Commencement.
U.S. News & World Report 2020 Best College rankings list Bryant as No. 7 in the Regional Universities North category.
Of Bryant’s class of 2019, 92% agree that Bryant prepared them for success.
Where Our Students Go
Graduates of Bryant's Literary and Cultural Studies program go on to prestigious graduate programs and are in demand by business, industry, and nonprofit organizations.
Experiential Learning Opportunities
CAREER EDUCATION OPPORTUNITIES
- Conduct site visits to community partner arts organizations like Trinity Repertory Theater Company, Festival Ballet Providence, and the Rhode Island Artists' Exchange.
- Intern at culture and publishing organizations such as the Worcester Museum of Art and C&G Media.
- Explore a variety of opportunities at social service agencies, events marketing companies, and government organizations.
- Write for The Archway student newspaper
- Linked Through Leadership committee member
- Join the executive board of the Bryant Players
- Serve as student editor for The Bryant Literary Review
- Giving for Good Marketplace student coordinator
- ONE Campaign
- Travel with Sophomore International Experience
- Study abroad in locations around the world
- Conduct archival research in world renowned library special collections with support from your faculty advisor
- Present creative and critical work at Pop Up Gallery Night