Literary and Cultural Studies
Guided by accomplished faculty with diverse expertise, discover your passion engaging with a variety of media, cultures, and methodologies. Offered as a major and minor.
Our dynamic Literary and Cultural Studies program encourages engagement with literature, film, music, creative writing, visual arts and other art forms. Learning to create and critique cultural expressions helps you develop as a critical thinker, problem solver, and global citizen.
- Work with faculty experts in fields from anthropology to literature, media studies to art history.
- Tap your creative spirit and showcase your work through venues like theater, pop-up galleries, and an international journal of poetry and fiction.
- Focus your studies on an aspect of cultural analysis that intrigues you.
- Immerse yourself in real-world learning experiences and internships, engaging with artists, libraries, museums, theaters, social service agencies, marketing and media companies, and government organizations.
- Develop a portfolio of creative production, including critical and creative writing, video, performance, and photography, as your capstone project, supported by a faculty mentor.
WATCH: Professor Amber Day, Ph.D., describes what makes our Literary and Cultural Studies program stand out.
- A strong foundation integrating business, STEM fields and the liberal arts develops critical 21st century skills essential for success and continuous growth in every field.
- Every student graduates with a major and a complementary minor, gaining a competitive advantage that highlights the acumen and problem-solving abilities cultivated through experiential learning.
- Whether you begin a career or continue your education after graduation, Bryant credentials prepare impact thinkers who are in high demand and prepared to contribute and make a difference.
The Bryant Difference
99 percent of Bryant graduates are employed or enrolled in graduate school within six months of Commencement.
U.S. News & World Report 2023 Best College rankings list Bryant as No. 7 in the Regional Universities North category.
Top 1% ROI
For lifetime earnings and ROI -- Georgetown University CEW
Where Our Students Go
Graduates of Bryant's Literary and Cultural Studies program go on to prestigious graduate programs and are in demand by business, industry, and nonprofit organizations.
Experiential Learning Opportunities
CAREER EDUCATION OPPORTUNITIES
- Conduct site visits to community partner arts organizations like Trinity Repertory Theater Company, Festival Ballet Providence, and the Rhode Island Artists' Exchange.
- Intern at culture and publishing organizations such as the Worcester Museum of Art and C&G Media.
- Explore a variety of opportunities at social service agencies, events marketing companies, and government organizations.
- Write for The Archway student newspaper
- Linked Through Leadership committee member
- Join the executive board of the Bryant Players
- Serve as student editor for The Bryant Literary Review
- Giving for Good Marketplace student coordinator
- ONE Campaign
- Travel with Sophomore International Experience
- Study abroad in locations around the world
- Conduct archival research in world renowned library special collections with support from your faculty advisor
- Present creative and critical work at Pop Up Gallery Night